NEW CDC AND VDH QUARANTINE GUIDELINES ADOPTED BY TCPS
- People who are fully vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms. However, fully vaccinated people should get tested 3-5 days after their exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms and wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until their test result is negative. 7/29/21
- Updated to recommend universal indoor masking for all students, staff, teachers, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status. 8//4/21
- Added recommendation for fully vaccinated people who have a known exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 to be tested 3-5 days after exposure, regardless of whether they have symptoms. 8/4/21
CDC Definition of Close Contact:
- Close Contact through Proximity and Duration of Exposure: Someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person (laboratory-confirmed or a clinically compatible illness) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period (for example, three individual 5-minute exposures for a total of 15 minutes). An infected person can spread SARS-CoV-2 starting from 2 days before they have any symptoms (or, for asymptomatic patients, 2 days before the positive specimen collection date), until they meet criteria for discontinuing home isolation.
- Exception: In the K–12 indoor classroom setting, the close contact definition excludes students who were within 3 to 6 feet of an infected student (laboratory-confirmed or a clinically compatible illness) where
This exception does not apply to teachers, staff, or other adults in the indoor classroom setting. July 9, 2021
CDC and VDH Guidelines:
Covid Positive Persons Release from Isolation: (The first day of symptom onset or positive test result is day 0)
- With Symptoms: Isolate for 10 days after the onset of symptoms (the fist day of symptom onset is day 0), no fever for 24 hours without meds, and all other symptoms have improved.
- Without Symptoms: Isolate for 10 days after the first positive test results (the first day with positive results is day 0) and you continue to have no symptoms.
Exposed to Covid + Person, Release from Quarantine - Unvaccinated (The first day of exposure is day 0)
- 14 days is recommended. May be released after day 7 if symptom free and negative test after day 5 (staff only per VDH).
- School system per VDH: staff may be tested after day 5 and released after day 7 if asymptomatic, but students can only be released after day 10 without a negative test, and asymptomatic.
- If symptomatic, must complete 14 days of quarantine.
School Staff Information